Current:Home > reviewsFastexy:John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs -Capitatum
Fastexy:John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 04:36:33
It's been the year of musical chairs in the fashion industry,Fastexy and now, John Galliano is leaving his longtime home at Maison Margiela.
In an interview with Women's Wear Daily published Wednesday, Galliano confirmed his exit from the French luxury fashion house.
"As we are parting ways with this beautiful house, my heart overflows with joyous gratitude, and my soul smiles so I want to take this time to express it. I continue to atone, and I will never stop dreaming," Galliano told WWD.
He continued: "In inviting me to assume the position of artistic director in the house that Martin (Margiela) built, he gave me the greatest, most precious gift: The opportunity to once again find my creative voice when I had become voiceless."
The comments were made in reference to his infamous 2011 ouster from Christian Dior after a video surfaced of a 2011 rant at a Paris bar, where he made comments considered racist and antisemitic. That year, he was found guilty for two hate crimes. It followed a separate, similar incident at the same bar in 2010 a year earlier.
Need a break?Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
But in 2014, Galliano made a career comeback at Margiela.
"Being brave enough to unlearn, to re-educate ourselves from the past – for it is societally learnt – to share, empathize, and practice compassion," he added.
Galliano continued, praising Margiela parent company president Renzo Russo who he said "took a risk" and gave him "a second chance," telling WWD that his hiring "told the fashion industry that it is at its best when we collectively support each other, not judge; when we accept, forgive, and help one another see the error of our ways."
Alessandro Michele named new creativedirector of Valentino after Gucci departure
Earlier this year, ex-Gucci head Alessandro Michele got back in his creative director bag, this time at Valentino, following Pier Paolo Piccioli's exit.
"Maison Valentino is honored to announce today the appointment of Alessandro Michele as Creative Director," the brand announced in a statement shared to social media at the time. "This appointment marks the beginning of a new journey to continue shining unique values of the brand, its heritage and couture codes in the world through Alessandro Michele’s unique perspective and wealth of experience."
Michele called the appointment "an incredible honor," adding, "I feel the immense joy and the huge responsibility to join a Maison de Couture that has the word 'beauty' carved on a collective story, made of distinctive elegance, refinement and extreme grace."
Chanel is also facing a shakeup as fashion onlookers await the naming of a new fashion creative director. WWD reported last month that Matthieu Blazy, the Bottega Veneta creative director, is a frontrunner for the brand's top spot.
Contributing: Brendan Morrow
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (42)
Related
- Sam Taylor
- MLB playoff scenarios: NL wild card race coming down to the wire
- National Coffee Day 2024: Free coffee at Dunkin', Krispy Kreme plus more deals, specials
- Ohio Senate Candidates Downplay Climate Action in Closely Contested Race
- Report: Lauri Markkanen signs 5-year, $238 million extension with Utah Jazz
- Is there a 'ManningCast' tonight? When Peyton, Eli Manning's ESPN broadcast returns
- Week 4 fantasy football rankings: PPR, half-PPR and standard leagues
- A tiny tribe is getting pushback for betting big on a $600M casino in California’s wine country
- Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
- What Nikki Garcia's Life Looks Like After Filing for Divorce From Artem Chigvintsev
Ranking
- Family of explorer who died in the Titan sub implosion seeks $50M-plus in wrongful death lawsuit
- NFL Week 4 injury report: Live updates for active, inactive players for Sunday's games
- Voters in Northern California county to vote on whether to allow large-scale farms
- Presidents Cup 2024: Results, highlights from U.S.'s 10th-straight Presidents Cup win
- Bet365 ordered to refund $519K to customers who it paid less than they were entitled on sports bets
- Don't put your money in the bank and forget about it. These tips can maximize your savings.
- Jussie Smollett says he has 'to move forward' after alleged hate crime hoax
- Rebel Wilson Marries Ramona Agruma in Italian Wedding Ceremony
Recommendation
Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
France’s new government pledges hardline stance on migration as it cozies up to far right
Red Sox honor radio voice Joe Castiglione who is retiring after 42 years
Knicks trade for Karl-Anthony Towns in blockbuster deal
Hidden Home Gems From Kohl's That Will Give Your Space a Stylish Refresh for Less
Stuck NASA astronauts welcome SpaceX capsule that’ll bring them home next year
Kristin Cavallari splits with 24-year-old boyfriend Mark Estes after 7 months
Fierce North Carolina congressional race could hinge on other names on the ballot